Published in the
Elgin Courier, Wednesday, October 12, 2016, and
Bastrop Advertiser, Saturday, October 15, 2016
To The Editor: I am writing this letter out of concern for the militarization of law enforcement in this country - and to tell everyone about the amazing man running for Sheriff of Bastrop County: Mike Renck.
We've all watched the news, we've all seen police across the country using unnecessary lethal force. (To understand it better, I highly recommend the documentary, "DO NOT RESIST", which shows how police are being trained to be "warriors" and we are looked upon as the enemy. Whatever happened to "To Protect and Serve"?) Only one man running for Sheriff of Bastrop County still follows that philosophy and plans on implementing it. How? Here are the high points:
1) De-escalation training of officers for potentially threatening situations
2) De-militarization of Sheriff's Department
3) Implement community policing
4) Increase mental health awareness training for officers
5) Improve communications between officers and the public
6) Increase community involvement, workshops and town hall meetings
I have talked with Mike, and he is genuine - the real deal. The six points listed above reflect his desire to hold to the highest ideals of law enforcement. We will rest easier, knowing he is there for us, acting in our best interests and I encourage everyone in Bastrop County to vote for him. We don't want tanks rolling down our main streets one day - and we don't want a "shoot first, ask questions later" policy.
My family and friends are for you, Mike. We know you will be there for us.